Sunday, January 01, 2006

A lesson in humility

I thought that I was becoming a chess master ...after all I have spent the last few weeks with Laura learning the basic strategies of chess at chesskids.com .... and in that time I had slaughtered Gill ( my wife ) not just once but five times ...you see she has always , always beaten me at chess .... but now I was brimming with confidence ...

Then along came my brother in law Nick ...who came out of retirement ,having not played the game for at least 10 years.... and within minutes he had annihilated me ... the blood was dripping from the chess board as my queen , knights and bishops were mutilated before the King finally lost his crown ....He did this to me twice ..... humiliation ...and to cap it all Laura beat me as well this afternoon ....

So its back to the classroom for me :-(