Monday, February 27, 2006

Belief and Action ...Are yours aligned

I preached from 1 Kings 18:16-40 yesterday . Elijah on Mount Carmel . The people of Israel had been called to account for their lapsed faith ...

" If the Lord is God then follow him " Elijah challenged them and "If Baal is god then follow him "

Elijah was saying that there is no middle ground , you either embrace fully the Christian faith or you fully embrace the way of the world . You cannot do both .

I was challenged by this . As a Christian I have to stop pussy footing around and live a life that fully reflects my belief in Christ .

I came across this article by a personal development guru Steve Pavlina ...From what I can gather about his belief system he had a catholic upbringing but now seems to embrace a form of humanism ...Although he is still on his spiritual journey ( according to his blog )

He said this................. Which is a true but sad reflection on our Christian hypocrisy

Quote from Steve Pavlina

"Do your current beliefs empower you to be your best, or do they doom you to life as a mere shadow of what you could be? Can you honestly say that you are doing your best or very close to it? Are you living congruently with your most deeply held beliefs? Whatever your religious or spiritual beliefs, how well do you practice them? Do you walk your talk?

On Monday as I walked around the Las Vegas Strip, I saw a downtrodden homeless man sitting on one of the overhead walkways asking for money. As over a hundred people passed by him each minute, no one even stopped to give him a kind word or a smile. I thought to myself, Where are all the Christians? If Jesus is the model for Christian behavior, what would Jesus do in that situation? What would other role models do? What would you do?

By their words I hear that most Americans are Christian. By their actions I see that most aren't
.
If you really believe something, you will act in accordance with that belief always.
If you believe in gravity, you will never attempt to defy it. If you claim to hold a belief but act incongruently, then you don't actually believe it. you are only kidding yourself. Casual faith isn't "



He is almost completely right ..I say almost because he hasn't understood the nature of sin and evil and how as the Apostle Paul says in Romans 7

18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to dothis I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

We will fail as the Apostle did ....but I am sure that Steve Pavlina could never have accused the Apostle Paul of not walking the talk

Elijah called the people to account .... If the Lord is God then follow him ...... that means 24/7