Sunday, June 12, 2005

Diner with The King

I was challenged by my reading of Revelation chapter 3 , the part about the lukewarm church at Laodicea . What struck me was the infamous verse 20 " Behold , I stand at the door and knock . If anyone hears my voice and opens the door , I will come in to him and eat with him , and he with me. "(esv)

A verse I had read and heard many times ...but today it spoke to me afresh . Here was a church that had been called to repent for their halfhearted Christianity and here was Christ offering forgiveness and fellowship to those he loved , particularly those who were zealous in their repentance ...v19 " Those whom I love , I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent "

There were two things that struck me ...the context ..i.e it would appear that verse 20 is aimed at the repentant Christian ....but more importantly for me today was the whole issue of the metaphor " I will come in to him and eat with him "......I had the hypothetical thought ..If I knew that Christ was to be a guest in my house for diner every night next week ..If I knew he was actually going to be there ....How different would my behavior be and not just my behavior but that of the rest of my family ...What would our prayer life be like , what would our bible study be like if we had the author there with us , what would our motivation to serve others be like ...how fervently would we plead for the lost with Him there ????

One for you to ponder as well.........................you see the fact is He will be a guest next week !